[Kdenlive-devel] New Icon?

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Tue Apr 28 17:32:30 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag 28 April 2009 18:23:17 schrieb Dan Dennedy:
> 2009/4/28 Markus <kamikazow at web.de>:
> > I think it's time for a new icon. The current one is a bit old-school,
> > isn't it?
>
> I do not mean to appear rude, but is not any image involving film or
> film-oriented production (e.g. clapper board) old school?

I meant the design, not what's shown.
The current one is a but Win98-ish.
Celluloid film is still widely used in cinemas, so it's not that old school.
Film is probably more recognizable than a video tape or a DVD.

> We had someone contribute a new icon not too long ago, but it was
> dismissed as being too similar to a trademarked one from a commercial
> offering in this space. So, be careful of that. I do not think this is
> similar to anything from a big commercial vendor, but it would not
> surprised me if it is the same as something from a lower end Windows
> product.

All Oxygen icons for documents are basically just Mac OS X icons flipped
vertically.
Honestly, I don't think we have to fear much. Worst case scenario: We receive
a cease and desist letter. In such case we could just revert to the old
artwork.
My mock-up is just the DragonPlayer icon minus the dragon and the scissors
from the tango icon set with thinner outlines.

That clapperboard talk made me think and I just found a great drawing on
Wikimedia Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Clapperboard.png
I modified it a little bit. The "Kdenlive" string would be removed in smaller
versions.
What do you think?