[Kdenlive-devel] PAL wide profile possible PAR problem

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Oct 24 05:31:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:26 AM, Stéphane Téletchéa <steletch at free.fr> wrote:

> ----- "Dan Dennedy" <dan at dennedy.org> a écrit :
>
> To be clearer, i can say that each file seems to be fine independently, but i'm unable to combine a 4/3 dv file and a 16/9 file (dv wide).
>
> See the two screenshots:
> http://www.steletch.org/rpm/screenshots/kdenlive_4:3.png
> http://www.steletch.org/rpm/screenshots/kdenlive_16:9.png

These look fine. In particular, the aspect ratio of kdenlive_16:9.png
- it is wide.

> I would assume the 16:9 would be cropped to fill the whole 4/3 format (i prefer to have the borders removed than to have the two borders appearing on the top and the bottom.
>
> Of course, i have checked the exported project and there are still the up and bottom borders.

Ah, well, this is simply a case of it not doing what you want as
opposed to distorting the aspect ratio. What you are getting is simply
the default behaviour of MLT. The most recent release contains a new
feature that will do what you want, but not in some easy, automatic
fashion. Basically, it can composite with cropping the overlay instead
of scaling it, but one must specify the coordinates of the cropping
rectangle - it will not automatically center it. Here is an example
for PAL:

$ inigo color:black out=37 -filter watermark:VTS_03_1.VOB composite.crop=-120

This requires that you know the duration of VOB in frames, and set the
out= above to duration -1. You can get the duration using:

$ inigo VTS_03_1.VOB -consumer westley: 2>&1 | grep length

So, to use this with kdenlive:

$ inigo color:black out=37 -filter watermark:VTS_03_1.VOB
composite.crop=-120 -consumer westley:VTS_03_1.westley

and load the .westley into kdenlive as a clip.

Yeah, not exactly obvious or easy to figure out. In fact, what if you
have camcorder footage or stuff captured from analog that has rough
edges and you simply want to apply a light cropping around the edges.
Again, similar to above, and this needs to be easier. This is partly
address in my ToDo, but I will add something to allow cropping instead
of padding when normalizing aspect ratios.

--
+-DRD-+