[Kdenlive-devel] mantis issue base: to close or to resolve? Other states?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Tue Oct 21 18:33:02 UTC 2008

Hi all

For the mantis bug/issue database, I have noticed that jb and jmpoure resolves
issues, while I prefer to close them.

The reason I have chosen close, is because the issues then by default are not
presented on the "view issues" tab. Also, from working with Bugzilla, I am
used to this beeing the final state. Example (from Bugzilla 2.22.5):
http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.22/html/lifecycle.html

(This is not hardcoded in newer bugzillas).

So, I have been using the states like this:
new: initial state
feedback: more information - usually from the reporter - is needed
acknowledged: the issue has been acknowledged, somebody should eventually
start working on it
closed: the issue has been resolved, and the solution has been confirmed.

I am not using:
confirmed
assigned
resolved

If I were to pick one of these to use, it should be assigned - and I would
assign most to jb :-)

We could use resolved to mark the issue as having been adressed by a developer
(svn commit), but I think it is not worthwhile.

I have a hard time figuring out what the difference between acknowledged and
confirmed should be.

So, how should we use resolved? My suggestion is to drop resolved and
confirmed, and go directly from acknowledged to closed. And keep assigned for
the day when more developers are active with code changes.

What do you (mostly jb and jmpoure) think?

Regards

Mads

P.S. If you agree with my suggestion, I will mass change the resolved to the
closed state. If not, I will mass change the closed to resolved state.
--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/