[Kdenlive-devel] Fwd: relative paths in project files

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Nov 17 22:00:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
<mads at dydensborg.dk> wrote:
> fredag 14 November 2008 skrev Dan Dennedy:
>

>> > Could you explain briefly what would be the use of the relative path
> feature ?
>>
>> Move the folder containing the project file and all of its assets to
>> another place or move it shared storage so I can access it from
>> another system that might have it mounted at a different location.
>>
>> I do not think there is a universal solution.
>
> Probably not. However, I couldn't help thinking about the way kphotoalbum does

Seems rather complicated and potentially frought with issues. I am not
opposed to it, and I try not to get too involved in kdenlive so I
don't get too spread out. However, when this has to be handed off to
rendering, then kdenlive might have to start using something other
than inigo because I will likely put it way down low on my prioritized
ToDo list simply based on the cost of complexity and effort for the
benefit.

I have an idea. How about we store with absolute file names but also
include the path of the project file in the project file. Then, if the
project file/folder is moved and the clips can not be located, we use
the project path to convert the absolute file names to relative by
removing the initial path that matches the old project path? For
example:

<westley path="/home/ddennedy/test1">
 <producer src="/home/ddennedy/test1/videos/clip1.dv"/>
 <producer src="/mnt/external_hdd/clip2.dv"/>
</westley>

Now, let's say I move the folder test1 to /mnt/external/, the project
file is virtually converted at run time to:

<westley>
 <producer src="videos/clip1.dv"/>
 <producer src="/mnt/external_hdd/clip2.dv"/>
</westley>

If this was loaded into inigo for rendering, it would not change the
kdenlive project file. If it was loaded into kdenlive and then saved,
then it would get updated to use absolute file names:

<westley path="/mnt/external_hdd/test1">
 <producer src="/mnt/external_hdd/test1/videos/clip1.dv"/>

--
+-DRD-+