[Kdenlive-devel] relative paths in project files

el jefe delito eljefedelito at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:16:14 UTC 2008

> This might be inspirational? What kphotoalbum appears to do, is to scan all
> files below a certain path, and match against the size/md5 sum database that
> it has. This is very quick - it scans my image collection of about 18000 high
> resolution images in 20-30 seconds

md5sum can take a while on large files, and video files are known to be large; it may be worthwhile anyways and better as an opt-in option to do this.  Would it be feasible to run md5sum against just the first and last X megabytes of the clips that are incorporated into a project, to help keep this quick for very large files?

eljefe$ ls -lh mall_trip_015.dv
-rw-r--r-- 1 eljefe eljefe 266M 2008-11-05 19:58 mall_trip_015.dv
eljefe$ time md5sum mall_trip_015.dv
bcd35a02015854813de36aa8d318cebb  mall_trip_015.dv

real    0m3.055s
user    0m1.988s
sys     0m0.532s

eljefe$

The above md5sum didn't take too long but with a whole lot of clips it may take much much longer; or not.  Just a thought.

> icon in the GUI. In Kdenlive that would amount to e.g. being able to move
> clips around in the timeline, edit titles, all that kind of stuff, without
> having access to the actual clips on disk at the moment.

This 'off-line editing' would be fantastic, as it would allow for less disk-access for the main files (which may be stored in another location); the kdenlive project file could then be sent to that location for rendering.  I think this would require a low-quality copy of the footage to work, however.  Would it be worthwhile (for RAM reasons etc) to have a tool to convert/compress the real footage to a much smaller version to work on?  Or is this overkill and not needed due to the way KDEnlive already works?