[Kdenlive-devel] relative paths in project files

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Nov 14 18:01:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 6:19 AM, jb <jb at kdenlive.org> wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008 01.33:09 Alberto Villa wrote:
>> hi all
>> now that 0.7 is gone i would like to discuss a feature whose absence makes
>> moving kdenlive files really frustrating
>> probably this isn't the first time you think about relative paths, and

Charlie and I argued about this for Kino. I argued for relative and he
for absolute. We decided to make it a user preference, but I defaulted
it to my preference. :-)

>> probably there's some good reason if this hasn't been done yet, but i'd
>> like to work on it if possible
>> i thought that "project folder" was related to this, but it has no effect
>> here...
>
> The "project folder" stuff is not yet implemented. The idea was to have all
> files created by Kdenlive for your project saved in that folder (video and
> audio thumbnails, title files, captured files...). The project file would then
> be saved in that same folder.
>
> Having relative path means that all files added to the project should be in
> that same folder, which is not always practical since you often have your
> video rushes on external drives or on another disk than the one where you
> store your project file...

some, but I do not agree that it is "most." I put all my stuff into a
folder somewhere under my home.

> Could you explain briefly what would be the use of the relative path feature ?

Move the folder containing the project file and all of its assets to
another place or move it shared storage so I can access it from
another system that might have it mounted at a different location.

I do not think there is a universal solution.

--
+-DRD-+