[Kdenlive-devel] Systematic crash of kdenlive/KDE3 SVN rev 2170

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed May 7 06:55:10 UTC 2008

Albert ARIBAUD a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm trying to debug issues in kdenlive (the KDE3 branch, release 2170,
>> with ffmpeg, mlt and mlt++ built from SVN also)
>>
>> At run time, kdenlive consistently crashes with the following stack:
>>
>> QMenuData::insertAny
>> QMenuData::insertItem
>> KDenliveApp (in kdenlive/kdenlive.cpp:235)
>>
>> That's the first insertItem() to the "timeline_clip_context"
>> QPopupMenu. I don't have the debug versions of the Qt libs so I can't
>> be 100% sure, as my current kdenlive build optimizes the 'menu'
>> variable out, but it looks like menu is null. Note that
>> transitionsMenu, created right before, is non null.
>>
>> Any ideas what happens there?
>
> Update: I've installed the debug Qt and KDE rpms, so I could step into
> QMenuData::insertItem(), and find out that it's 'this' (which is
> actually the menu variable I could not easily examine) equals not 0 but
> 0xf0, which is obviously a baaaad value for a pointer. But I still don't
> know *why* factory->container("timeline_clip_context"...) returns such a
> value.

Got the root cause of "my" issue, i.e. kdenliveui.rc could not be found.
This was expressed as a warning on stderr, which I missed from within
Kdevelop (duh...); obviously, this should be an error, not a warning, as
kdenlive cannot run without kdenliveui.rc. I'll be looking  into why my
build can't find the file although kdenlive/kdenliveui.rc indeed exists,
and make sure kdenlive complains loudlier if it misses its .rc file.

(now this does not tell me why on Eath factory->container() returns that
weird 0xf0 value when it can't find the container in the UI definition;
but that's outside kdenlive, so I don't intend to investigate further on
it.)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.