[Kdenlive-devel] Field report on using 0.6 svn version from 2008-01-06

Marco Gittler g.marco at freenet.de
Wed Mar 26 11:59:22 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, 25. März 2008 schrieb Roland Kaeser:
> Hello all
>
> I just had the pleasure to cut a short film (about 3 minutes) using the
> 0.6-svn version from 2008-01-06 (created by packman
> (packman.links2linux.de). First of all: You all guys made a very good
> program. I just can make congratulations. The features and the usability
> gives kdenlive the potential to become one of the killerapps of Linux. As I
> wrote above, I'm using a version from January so its possible that things I
> will speak about are already implemented.
>
> I found also some problems in using the program:
>
> 1: The program stability. I recognized a lot of crashes or other problems
> regarding to stablility issues around internal functions.
should be fixed in later kde3 version (many crash positions where cleaned)

> Sometimes the preview-window remains black when moving the seek marker
> across the timeline unless I switch to the cut tool and back to the
> positioning  tool.
>
> When adding sound effects to the clips such as the volume effect, often
> when changing the volume on a certain clip the program mutes the whole
> clip. Sometimes it helps to restart kdenlive to get rid of the problem,
> sometimes its required to remove the clib, restart the app and add the clip
> again to solve such problems.
>
> Creating text or image clips and using it on the timeline almost brings
> kdenlive to crash after short time.
>
> Using some of the video effects (such as automask) brings kdenlive
> immediately to crash.
>
> Sometimes, while recover a previous session brings kdenlive also
> immediately to crash or freeze.
since the main work is now put into kde4-port, there is not so much time to
fix the kde3 version also. kde4 version is in many part new written and
should have not so much of this issues.

> The text clips (specially when setting a transparent background) are mostly
> unuseable because they produce just a black screen. (when laying it above a
> video clip) or remains just invisible.
this was working for me in the kde3 version

> 2: It seems to me that kdenlive has problems in handling the beginning,
> ending and cutting positions of the clips. When I cut a clip (cut off
> frames from the end of a clip) I afterwards can  already resize the
> remaining clip to its previous full length.
yes this is a good point, i'll add this to the kde4 porting page, so that it
can be solved in the kde4 version

> 3: It seems that the multithreading programming behind the export functions
> have some bugs in it. When I export the timeline to a moviefile or dvd, the
> export progress bar moves until 99% and 1 second before ending of the job
> and holds on. The background process, used to render the export remains in
> memory when the programm has ended and consumes a lot of cpu power.
must be tested (can you fill a bug report for this ?)

> 4: I miss just a few functions in kdenlive to have a (for me) fully working
> app to cutting my movies and (maybe) making some compositing work on it.
> These functions are:
>
>     1: Changing the transparency of the clips using the "rubberband"
> concept (like the volume effect). This would be one of the most powerful
> functions to me.
also a TODO for the new version

>     2: Having a keyframe based crop tool which allows to create effects
> like in twenty four (24) (the action series)
dont know how this looks

>     3: Having a effect to move a picture clip around the screen using
> keyframes.
PIP Transition ?

>     4: A extension to the text clip to move the text around the screen and
> resizing it (using keyframes) to create simple text compositing effects
> like in the opening theme of "Boston Legal"
also no idea how this looks

> I think on the bottom line, kdenlive is already a very powerful
> application. I think the biggest current issue is definitely the stablity
> of the program. Taking a look to this issue would make the program
> available to a wider base of users. I personally have some friends in a
> "movie club". Its a kind of society of people who likes to create their own
> short movies. Some (the most of them) are using some embedded systems like
> Casablanca to cut their movies. It would be a very good chance switching
> them directly to Linux (by omitting windows)  as base system and let them
> use kdenlive for cuting their movies.
>

> I would You give just a short overview about the experiences of a "regular
> user" with kdenlive and hope that it helped You a bit getting a insight
> view of the needs and problems of the users out there.
nice, user response is very important to help improving kdenlive.

> Many thanks
>
> Roland Käser
regards Marco

--
Gewisse Bücher scheinen geschrieben zu sein, nicht damit man daraus
lerne, sondern damit man wisse, daß der Verfasser etwas gewußt hat.