[Kdenlive-devel] Wizard to build kdenlive from SVN

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Tue Jul 22 03:01:14 UTC 2008

Hi all

Based on the kdenlive_builder_v3.sh script on the wiki, I have created a
wizard for essentially the same purpose, but (hopefully) slightly more
user-friendly. I have tried to make it as easy to use as possible, and more
appealing to novice users.

Regrettably I spent quite some time to do this, so I would really appreciate
if someone could take it for a spin, see if it works, and so on. Please :-)

It requires kommander (kmdr-exectutor) to work. Under (k)ubuntu this is part
of the "kommander" package. It also kind-of assumes that you are running KDE,
using the kdesudo program.

You can find it at
http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/kdenlive_builder_wizard.kmdr.gz
(I wanted to attach it to this mail, but there is a list limit of 100 KB. Its
a 170 KB download).

Here is a list of features:

- All of the features of kdenlive_builder_v3.sh (I think?)
- Very easy to use Wizard interface
- Help, tooltips and "What's this" used throughout
- Stores settings between uses
- Checks for presence of basic tools (svn, cmake, c++, pkg-config and some
others)
- Uses the http versions of the sourceforge repos, to avoid
certificate "problems".
- Adjust the make -j parameter after the number of cores
- Explicit option for root install
- Allow for automatic install into "dated" directory
- Allow for creating a "startup" script for the custom installed kdenlive
- Easy to follow feedback during get/configure/install, through progressbar
and statusfield
- Full log of all actions, inclusive settings available directly from the
wizard (for e.g. bug reports/troubleshooting).
- Hands free during operations: collects options initially (and, if needed,
sudo password), then either run to it completes or fails.

There are a couple of gotchas:
- only tested with kommander 1.2.2 on kubuntu 7.10 - as that is the only stuff
I have currently
- does not check any libs. This means that if e.g. sdl dev libs are missing,
the build will succeed (mlt configure does not complain) but the build will
actually not work.

Again, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes
God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the
political behavior of Western Civilization.
                       - Robert A. Wilson (Right Where You Are Sitting Now)

Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

It is a look [of indecision and fear] I know well - if he had been a
subordinate commander in battle I would have immediately relieved him of his
command.

    General Sir Michael Rose, Former Commander of the UN Protection Force in
Bosnia, on Pres. Bushs 5 minutes lack of reaction to the attack on the World
Trade Center. 2004.07.01