[Kdenlive-devel] rendering speed/preview

Johannes Wilm j at indymedia.no
Mon Jul 14 10:58:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:

> Le dimanche 13 juillet 2008 à 17:30 -0600, Johannes Wilm a écrit :
> > I noticed that current MTR/kdenlive-kde4 support AVCHD files. However,
> > it takes quite a long time for them to render, even in the editing
> > preview window. I think Cinelerra has an option in such cases to
> > prerender such files so that one can actually play back in realtime
> > when editing. Is something like that hidden in or planned for
> > KDEnlive?
> >

> Cinelerra imports files, it does not play them interactively, am I
> wrong?

what do you mean? Cinelerra's interface is that of most other Video editors
with a preview window that you can play things in when editing. For this
window, tou can pre-render fany effects, difficult video formats, etc.

> I have no problem to preview AVCHD HDV files on my AMD dual core. MLT
> can take advantage of multithreading. Newers processors have up to 4
> dies. Personaly, I would be in favour of a good multithreading support
> rather than play around prerendering files.

Ok, as long as it makes it possible to play it back on most CPUs. My Macbook
is from one year ago, and googling around I haven't found anyone wh can play
it back smoothly directly, but maybe you have another player?

Testfile: http://www.johanneswilm.org/download/johanneswilm.mts

PS: KDenlive doesn't actually list this file as one it can open. However if
one manually types in the filename anyway, it does open it succesfully.
Maybe ".mts" needs to be listed to some list of accepted video files?

> Kind regards,
> Jean-Michel

Johannes Wilm
http://www.johanneswilm.org