[Kdenlive-devel] Testing packages

Alberto Villa villa.alberto at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 21:35:00 UTC 2008

On Sunday 21 December 2008 22:18:58 Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> > As regards recent questions from users, it seem important to test the
> > quality of packages proposed for download, as regards popular
> > distributions. I am running a Debian and packages are of very good
> > quality. What about other distributions. Can some of you report?

i'm quite sure we can test the quality of the packages we use (but i'm doing
packages for my os so i'm not the one who can say this)

> > For unknown distributions, can we organize to install them in qemu and
> > test packages? It should be possible to query ffmpeg and see what
> > options were compiled.
>
> I can see that it would make sense to sort of test the packages that we
> link to. On the other hand, most other projects write something like "These
> packages have not been tested by us" disclaimer like.
>
> Testing packages can be a lot of work, I think.

if we could always distribute high quality packages it would be symptom of a
well organized project, absolutely, but as mads says, it can be a lot of work.
we're all busy with lots of tasks (development, bug tracking and fixing,
website administration, documentation... real life, anyone? not me anymore :P)
and i think we can't find the time to do also this. but as more contributors
are coming (they really are!) they could help with this. could we find someone
willing to help among them? this is actually an easy task, and that would mean
more people involved with kdenlive...
(gosh, horrible english, get to go back on books)
--
Alberto Villa <villa.alberto at gmail.com>