[Kdenlive-devel] AVCHD/h264 decoding benchmarking

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Dec 19 22:16:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 20:55 -0800, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> $ inigo some.mts skip_loop_filter=all skip_frame=bidir -consumer
>> westley:some-fast.westley
>
> This works great. My dual-core processor jumped to 80% activity. The
> view was good enough to view the clip monitor interactively. We don't
> need B frames during editing.

The next problem is to figure out how to swap in and out properties
when rendering vs. editing/preview. To me, this can be a problem very
similar to proxy, aka offline, editing - transcode clips to lower res,
faster format and then substitute the originals when rendering. One
way to do this is to make westley virtual clips for the proxies,
symlink to the desired, and use the symlinks in the project. Then, the
symlinks can change depending on the upon the task mode. That would
create a little problem when you continue to use the project while it
is being rendered. Another way is for kdenlive to manage all of this
and just MLT about different resources depending upon the mode.

> No problem about it, you are a real programming master.
>
> What is the impact of seeking problems on MLT and Kdenlive. Are there
> limitations in video editing?

There is the soft limitation of not always being able to see when you
are making very precise cuts and trims. However, there is a hard
limitation as raised by Johannes Wilm that seeking artifacts occur in
rendered output whenever the in point is not the start of the file.

--
+-DRD-+