[Kdenlive-devel] AVCHD/h264 decoding benchmarking

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Wed Dec 17 08:50:18 UTC 2008

Dear Friends,

For http://www.kdenlive.org project, I am trying to determine the
hardware requirements to decode h264/AVCHD interactively.

When using AVCHD camcorder, we would like to inform end-users of
hardware requirements.

I know hardware acceleration is coming along with Nvidia VDPAU patch
that we ***may*** implement in MLT, depending on development resources.
Until then, we rely entirely on FFmpeg optimisations and multithreading.

My questions:

* Is anyone with a dual-core/quad-core computer able to decode one of
these movies interactively:
http://www.kdenlive.org/videos/avchd-test-1.mts
http://www.kdenlive.org/videos/avchd-test-2.mts
http://www.kdenlive.org/videos/avchd-test-3.mts
http://www.kdenlive.org/videos/avchd-test-4.mts
http://www.kdenlive.org/videos/avchd-test-5.mts

These files come out a HD AVCHD camcorder. Use ffplay to test. If one
movie plays in slow motion, others will. No need to test everything.

My dual-core computer is not able to decode interectively any of these
movies.

* Does h264 and AVCHD use sliced decoding which I saw in SVN? Is h264
decoding really multi-threaded? When using ffplay, I see only one core
working at 100%. How to activate multi-threading decoding. Can we expect
to decode AVCHD with a quad-core?

Thank you for your answers. According to your information, we will
publish information on kdenlive web site.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel