[Kdenlive-devel] Doc: installing from source

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue Dec 16 19:40:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 03:58 +0100, Alberto Villa wrote:
>> please, help me: dvgrab and recordmydesktop are OPTIONALLY required,

"optionally required" is an oxymoron.

>> right?
>
> Both are required as dependencies. Recordmydesktop is need by Kdenlive
> SVN and Kdenlive 0.7.1. Dvgrab is used directly when capturing video.

Are you guys trying to determine the proper rules or the proper
explanation? Either way, you are both wrong.

These are not required to build and install kdenlive. They are
optional dependencies. Capture from firewire is optional but dependent
upon dvgrab in your path if you want to use it. Screen capture is an
optional feature that is dependent upon the recordmydesktop utility in
your path.

> Video4linux seems independent.

Why do you take a different perspective on this one? This is an
optional dependency on ffmpeg, the utility, being in your path.

--
+-DRD-+