[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive packaging policies

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Mon Dec 15 09:39:45 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 December 2008 10.00:12 Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I would like to discuss the packaging policies of Kdenlive.
>
> I don't see many distributions providing efforts to package Kdenlive
> cleanly, with all latest MLT and ffmpeg codecs, appart for Marillat
> Debian-multimedia and Gentoo exceptions.

> Of course I did not test all packages, so I might be wrong. Maybe some
> packagers do not simply have the skills to compile Kdenlive cleanly. And
> we cannot expect end-users to be able to compile ffmpeg, MLT and
> Kdenlive with full options turned-on.

The biggest problem I see here is with FFmpeg. Some distros provide an old
version of FFmpeg or do not provide some codecs. However is is not an easy
task to replace the "official" FFmpeg packages of a distro by some packages
provided by us, because that would probably create conflicts with other
packages in the distro that need the "official" FFmpeg version.

It seems to me that if we start to provide packages by ourselves, that will
bring more troubles.

Kdenlive 0.7 was released one month ago, and still had some big bugs. I think
that fixing bugs and having a large community (thanks to the web site) will
slowly give us a better distribution support.

regards
jb