[Kdenlive-devel] Install path for kdenlive_render?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Dec 3 17:35:36 UTC 2008

Mads Bondo Dydensborg a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> We have got a request from a debian qa guy on manpages. Please see
> http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=420
>
> Its easy enough to do and install a manpage for kdenlive.
> However, for kdenlive_render - should end users call this?
>
> My guess is "no" - and then, perhaps kdenlive_render should not be installed
> into /usr/bin. Your comments is quite welcome at this point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mads

For me the question is less "should end users [be forbidden to] call this?"
and more "could end users call this [if they so wish]?"

I would plead in favor of "yes, they could", or more precisely, in favor of
"kdenlive_renderer and its relation to kdenlive should be documented".

But that's because I used my knowledge of that relation in order to
circumvent a past bug where the profile (DV PAL or DV PAL WIDE) was badly
passed to kdenlive_render, or kdenlive_render badly understood it; anyway,
what I did was rename kdenlive_render and create an eponym bash script that
analyzed its arguments and fixed them before calling the original
kdenlive_render. This flexibility can only be useful if the user is aware of
kdenlive_renderer and how it works, which means to me that kdenlive_render
should be treated and advertized as a true application, in /usr/bin and with
a man page at least.

Side note: wasn't there a plan to switch from kdenlive_render to inigo?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.