[Kdenlive-devel] General interface/usability comments

Jared Henley jared.henley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 11:41:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have to say that the kde4 version of kdenlive really rocks and has some
definite improvements over the kde3 version.  But here are some of my
frustrations upon initially using it that I haven't mentioned elsewhere:

1. The sizes of the adjustable panes aren't remembered at program exit.
This means I have to make the playback pane larger each time I start the
program.

2. Opening old kdenlive projects fails with a crash.  And it's not
immediately obvious how to hand-convert them.  I know I've been very tardy
in completing my videos :-( which has caused this problem.  Yet LyX has a
script to convert from older formats to the new version, which it calls as
required.  Should kdenlive have a similar script?

3. When kdenlive is initially opened with a blank project and then another
project is opened, the blank and unmodified project is still open in a
different tab.  Couldn't it just be closed, since it's empty and has no
edits.

4. The tabbing for different projects seems to be in the wrong place (above
the timeline).  I think it should be at the top of the window, under the
menu and toolbar.

5. What happened to the "beginning of clip" and "end of clip" buttons in the
playback window?  I never realised they were useful until they disappeared.

6. Are the video and audio thumbnails supposed to be cached somewhere?  They
aren't on my system, and since there are so many of them, opening an
existing project is now quite slow.

7. Personally, I think I'd prefer square corners on clips in the timeline.
Makes it easier to determine the amount of overlap when doing transitions.

That's quite a long list but please don't think I'm just complaining.  I
would like to see kdenlive become one of those "famous" Linux applications.
I'll be happy to try to hack some code if I can find the time.

Regards,
Jared.