[Kdenlive-devel] Re.: Hello... Some suggestions, bugs and

Juan M herrej01 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 19:01:15 UTC 2007

Hi Fabrizio,

try to answer some of your questions:

>-- Maybe you already know it: whenever I try to add a "Wipe" transition
>between clips, I get an empty "Transitions" tab (in the top-left panel;
>default view) and then a SEGFAULT.
>
>-- I got a SEGFAULT also when trying to add a song as a clip project. I
>could discover why: the MP3 file had a special, accented character in
>its name. I could add it to the project, but Kdenlive SEGFAULTed when I
>clicked once in the filename for having it played in the top-right
>panel. When I renamed the file without the character (an acute-accented
>"e"), it worked.

I experienced also some SEGFAULT problems with version 0.4, but can not
reproduce your problems in the new version. I tried with accented filenames
and "squeze" as much as possible the transitions and no problem at all.
Think this is very well fixed !!

>--- I could edit the properties for transitions very rarely. I presume
>that this should be done easily with a double-click over a Transition
>rectangle between clips, but this method will work only once or twice. A
>different "transition section" is selected or the previously selected
>one keeps the focus, no matter how much I click in the transition
>rectangle I want to edit. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Have the same problem, both in version 0.4 and 0.5 (I'm working with two
weeks old svn version). I already posted a message commenting this problem,
but not sure if it's already fixed. If you need to walk around the issue,
just work with the timeline scale to have all transitions for a given clip
visible in the screen. Then you'll be able to select any of them just double
clicking.

>--- The "Export Timeline" dialog does not show it is working after the
>"Export" button is clicked. I could only notice that something was being
>done with the help of a CPU usage monitor. It took a long until I could
>notice the progress bar placed in the main window?s status bar. I think
>that the progress bar would have more effect if it was placed in the
>"Export Timeline" dialog.

This is also already fixed in version 0.5.

>--- I don?t know exactly why, but I can have a "text clip" shown over a
>"normal video clip" ONLY when the text clip is placed in the timeline
>track right above the one with the video clip -- for example, text in
>Track 0, video in Track 1; the inverse order will not work. Is this ok?

As far as I know, this is normal. To see the text clip, you need to define
it to have transparent background, so what you'll see is always the next
track.

You can bypass this creating a PIP "full screen" transition for the text
clip and then selecting in the transition parameters wich track you want to
work with.

>--- Even simpler, I think, would be an option, in the Transitions tab,
>for having the audio between clips crossfaded automatically.

Fully agree. Nice to have !!!

>--- A previous message in this list suggested the use of one of those
>"Bulletin Boards", vBulletin-like forums, and I agree that this would be
>greatly appreciated. The Wiki is not really a space for questions and
>answers, bug reports and such; and I admit that I am sorry and afraid of
>writing such a big, general message in a developers forum. But it is the
>ONLY contact/discussion way I could find.

Agree also. There's a "Forum" option in the sourceforge kdenlive page, but
is not used. Any reason ?

I finally take the opportunity to inform everybody that I've started
modifying the documentation in the wiki (beginning from the quickstart
guide). I've based the modifications in the new version 0.5 as it's release
is immediate. Please feel free to have a look, comment and correct anything
wrong. Specially my english grammar & syntax !!!!

Best regards.
Juan M.