[Kdenlive-devel] How do I capture video ?

Harry van der Wolf harryvanderwolf at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 18 11:03:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm running kdenlive 0.5svn from 17-03 on Kubuntu Edgy 6.10. I have the
necessary libraries libraw1394 and libavc1394 installed. Before this
attempt I captured with my windows video software (some time ago) and
lately with dvgrab. So my hardware and installation are correct.

Two questions:
1. - How do I capture.
2. - Where are the captured files stored.

1. - How do I capture.
I changed the setting in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules
from
KERNEL=="raw1394",                      GROUP="disk"
KERNEL=="raw1394",                      GROUP="video"
to make it possible to capture video as normal user instead of only as
root. (I do not have firewire disks, so no security risk for me).
(I copied that from Dan Dennedy's KINO website. Maybe I should add that
to the Kdenlive FAQ).

I have access to my (SONY) camcorder and Fast Forward, Fast Backward,
Play and so on work perfectly. However, when I click RECORD nothing
happens. The video continues playing and after 6 minutes it jumps to a
interactive pause mode asking me if I want to process my captured video
or to continue capturing. Nothing is stored on my disk however. I (try
to) capture in DV2.
When switching to "root-mode" using "kdesu kdenlive" I see no change.
Everything seems to work, but no *.avi or *.dv files are saved.
This is also "supported" by the fact that I do not see any disk
activity: nothing to hear and no flickering disk leds.
Is it something I do wrong or is it something not functioning yet in
Kdenlive.

Just to confirm: When I "dvgrab"  the video manually (also as normal
user, so no root) I do get the video. I used the command: "dvgrab
--autosplit --timestamp --size 1998 2007-feb-march-" (but that had
worked before too).

2.- Where are the captured files stored.
Are they stored in the "Folder for temporary files"  or ...?
After the (assumed) capture i did a "sudo updatedb; locate -i .avi |
more"  (also tried "locate -i .dv | more") to check where they were
located, but as point 1 already explains: no video file.
Nevertheless the question: where are they stored or where are the
intermediate video files stored?

Kind regards,
Harry