[Kdenlive-devel] Notes for renderer window design

jb jb at ader.ch
Sat Mar 3 15:38:39 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 23.42:43 Stephane Fillod wrote:
> Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 06:42:33PM +0100, Juan M skribis:

> > - I do not think we need to let the user choose between PAL & NTSC when
> > rendering. This information is already in the project settings, so take
> > it from there. If the user is working in PAL and decides to change to
> > NTSC for rendering (or viceversa), then only he needs to do is changing
> > project settings.

Well in theory, that's a good idea. The problem is that currently changing a
project from one format to another is broken... But it's a good idea, as soon
as it is fixed, I will change the rendering dialog to remove other standard
exports...

> Should the metadata be defined in the project properties (but
> overridable in export window) ?

Yes, todo.

> > - The first decission for the user is where & what he wants to render. He
> > needs to select the location (dir) to place the file and the filename (no
> > need for an extension. Should be automatically added). Also he needs to
>
> Could the export folder default to the project folder?

I will look into this.

> > decide if want to render video+audio, only video or only audio. And if he
> > wants to render the full timeline or just a part (based on selection or
> > marks)

Juan, I am wondering which version of Kdenlive you are using. It seems to me
that some of your requests are already integrated in development version...

> > - This info should be in the main window. Render option (Video+audio,
> > video & audio) should be tabs that will include their own parameters.
> >
> > - Once in the selected tab, the user should have the choice to select a
> > "template". In ffmpeg terms this should be a target type. We should
> > define the most usual (DV, DVD, SVCD, MPEG, ...) and if the user select
> > any of them, the rest of parameters will be defaulted.
>
> Juan, what you think of the existing profiles of Kdenlive? I agree with
> you, there should be more. Can we make a list?

For sure, some help to setup good profiles would be very welcome.

> > - For advanced users, I think the best option is to have an additional
> > tab where they can select the preferred encoder (mencoder, ffmpeg,
> > transcode, ...) (is it possible to work with different encoders in
> > kdenlive ?) and then pass the rest of options they want as a parameter
> > list for this encoder.

Not sure about it, but having different encoders is currently not possible in
an easy way.

> Can it be made possible to render two videos at the same time?
> In most of my projects, I have to render 2 versions, one in Flash
> with low quality (for Internet download with low speed) and one
> version in PAL for people with high speed download. Right now,
> I do it with ffmpeg/avidemux. MLT should be able to have 2 consumers,
> that would be a convenient feature of kdenlive, factorising
> the producer and effect stack.

To make it in an efficient way, that would probably require some changes to
MLT...

> In the eye-candy departement, that would be cute if the export progress
> bar could also appear in the KDE task bar when kdenlive is minimized.
> That would allow the user to know when to stop playing frozen-bubble
> because then rendering completed :)

Done, you can now have fun and keep an eye on your export!

--
Jean-Baptiste Mardelle
GPG: 0x8208AB1F; Fingerprint: