[Kdenlive-devel] "jerking" video - last twist in story?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Jun 7 05:02:58 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 19:32, Jan Uhlir wrote:
> I am able to produce hardware compatible DVD now. No jerks or jittering.
> However it requires full video reencoding of BOTH audio and video.
> I tested many variants of a/v bitrate and many other settings but only one
> setting is relevant. Guess what. Interlacing! The video is OK only when I
> set TFF as interlacing option. (TFF - top filed first I guess) When I set
> "progressive" jerkiness is back! The very same issue.
> So the story is back where it began - at interlacing :)

I saw from a link to a picture in your original post that it is interlaced.
What did you use to record the source material? DV is always BFF, but MPEG-2
can be either and must be signalled properly. Since kdenlive/mlt/ffmpeg is
doing progressive encoding, it would have been signalled as progressive.
However, with interlacing in the source and no good deinterlacer, you will
get this result.

> P.S.
> I haven't test BFF option yet.

Please do and report to us.
BTW, what format are you using between kdenlive and avidemux?