[Kdenlive-devel] Daily bugs -> concept of virtual clips

Harry van der Wolf harryvanderwolf at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 24 12:05:42 UTC 2007

Zsolt Sandor wrote:
> Can you describe where i can find this
> subclip feature?

Hi Zsolt (and the others),

Maybe this explanation is unnecessary as you know exactly how to do
this, but I'll give it anyway to explain my point.

What I meant with the subclip feature is that when you have a (big
captured) clip in your Project Tree, you can drag this clip to e.g.
track 0 (or whatever track you like). In this track you can examine your
clip and razor it wherever you like.
Say you razor your main clip at three points, leaving you with four
sub-clips: sub-clip 1, 2, 3 and 4. You can than delete sub-clip 2. This
leaves you with sub-clips 1, 3 and 4. You can then drag sub-clip 4, for
example, in front of sub-clip 1 and 3 and then, for example, drag
sub-clip 1 behind sub-clip 3. Your sequential order is now: sub-clip 4,
sub-clip 3 and sub-clip 1.
You can repeat this kind of action by dragging the same big clip to the
same or another track and repeat this razor action(s) and the sub-clip
actions again and again. You can also copy a (sub-)clip from one of your
tracks and paste it on the same or another track at another place.

Another option I sometimes use is to have a sub-clip on track 0 and copy
this exact same clip on the same position on track 1. You could for
example apply a video effect (grayscale?) to one of the clips and apply
a PIP-transition over the full clip having the transparency go from 0%
to 100% (or the other way around). In this way I go from the "old
black-and-white times" to the modern times. (Maybe an idea for a tutorial?)

This is what I mean with sub-clips. I hope it is the same what you
understood from JB's and my mail and what you wanted to know about how
to use it.
If not, let me know and we can try to solve the unclarities. Otherwise
you might have a new feature for the wish list (what I can't solve for
you as you need a programmer for that).

regards,
Harry