[Kdenlive-devel] Using avformat for DV decoder

jb jb at ader.ch
Tue Oct 3 10:39:05 UTC 2006

Ruslan Popov wrote:
> rpopov at nemo::camera$ playdv dv-001.avi
> Parser error reading first header
> rpopov at nemo::camera$ file dv-001.avi
> dv-001.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 720 x 576, 25.00 fps,
> video:, audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 48000 Hz)

Ok, I don't know if libdv is supposed to play these files, best would be
to ask the libdv mailing list. In the meantime I found an easier way to
fix your problem.

When installing MLT, it creates a directory mlt/modules which should be
in /usr/local/share or /usr/share depending of your install.

In that directory, you will find a file names fezzik.dict. It lists all
file extensions and the attached producers. Just edit it and change line:

*.avi so that avformat is placed before libdv.

(Or remove libdv completely from the avi extension)

regards.