[Kdenlive-devel] Request for more frequent releases

Jean-Michel Pouré jmpoure at free.fr
Thu Nov 16 10:32:54 UTC 2006

Dear JB and all,

Would it be possible to have more frequent Kdenlive releases, for
example each month or every two weeks?

When installing Kdenlive remotely on workstations of members of the
team, I noticed that Kdenlive was quite hard to install.

For example, in the case of AMD64, you need a recent version of sox,
compiled with fpic option, then you need MLT compiled with LDSAP
packages. Finaly you can compile Kdenlive. In fact, very few people can
install Kdenlive from SVN. Maybe less than 50, not a large audience!

IMHO, it would be better to release more often. This would trigger
packaging work for sox, mlt other thrird party software.

Also, the most important impact would be for Kdenlive to spead rapidly
in the free-software community. Kdenlive is a very attractive project,
it would probably gain new developers quickly.

On the converse, if Kdenlive is not release often, it wron't gain users
and developers, and thus it will be more work for JB alone.

IMHO, you can only gain from releasing more often. For example, I could
work 10 hours on Monday without major breakage. It is enough for a 0.4
release. Then you may add more image formats and slow motion and release
0.5 afterwards, in two weeks. Etc ...

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel