[Kdenlive-devel] I haven't been recieving kdenlive-devel emails!!!

jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 13:03:57 UTC 2005

Hi Ruslan,

Sorry for no reply's in the past month, something has gone awfully wrong
with my email because no mails from the kdenlive-devel list have been
delivered to my inbox. I think my ISP spam blocking has been deleting
them, so I have turned it off, fingers crossed my messages will return to
normal. It was only on the offchance that I was looking at the archives
that I realised :-(

Anyway, it may be a bit late but I'll reply as best as I can to the mails
you have sent :

>  After a long wait there are Piave and Kdenlive in ALTLinux.
>  I build the RPMs and test an application. It is very good!

Excellent!

>  All I need to happyness with K/P are:
>  1. A/V cross fade effect.
>  2. Picture in picture effect.

>From Kdenlive's point of view, these two are very much related problems.
The architecture for effects and transitions needs to be completed in
order for them to work.

>  3. Ability to enable visualised frames on timeline.

This should not be too difficult to implement. Rolf was working on a
solution but I think it is only partially implemented. Basically, add a
new track view decorator (look at the decorator classes for information)
that will draw the image at the start of the clip. Now, your only problem
is getting the image onto the clip, which means requesting the image from
piave. Search the mailing list on this topic, there have been several
discussions and there is at least some functionality in piave for doing
this.

>  4. Under videotrack it would be nice to see visualized stereo track.

I think that for this to be implemented, we first have to separate video
and audio in piave so that we can have separate data paths.

>  First of all, I will repair one thing bored me - when user DnDs some
files into project list, then clips folder shuts. But when it was open,
it must stay opened.

>  Where need I to point a look to work on A/V cross fade effect???

There are several areas :

QDomDocument DocClipProject::sceneToXML(const GenTime &startTime, const
GenTime &endTime) const

This method currently only generates a scene with the top-most track (for
no better reason other than lazyness due to so much other missing
architecture in kdenlive when it was written). it needs to be updated so
that it generates a scene that contains all of the tracks, specifying an
"overlay" option as the way in which to blend them. I haven't looked at
the code for some time, so my best recommendation is to browse the
archives to figure out what format we eventually agreed upon (that's what
I'll have to do ;-)).

Secondly, You need to look at the effect framework. Most of the backend
for the effect framework is in place; what still needs to be done is the
user interfaces for manipulating keyframe parameters.

DocClipRef::sceneToXML() contains the code that constructs those parts of
the scenelist that have effects. At the moment, no effect parameters are
passed on to piave, so this needs to be extended.

The frontend takes two forms - We need to add some keyframe tracks in the
timeline/keyframe editor views. Most of this fits into the timeline as it
stands as far as recall - mostly we just need to make sure that
TrackViewDoubleKeyFrameDecorator is complete and will display keyframes in
an effect; and secondly we need to add a new Function class that allows
the user to select and drag keyframes about. (In order for this to all go
through the undo/redo structure, we also need one or more commands for
adding, deleting and moving keyframes around inside of an effect.)

> I need some help to understand what the author wanted to do wit the
following:

> 00036 void EffectDesc::addInput(const QString &name, bool video, bool
audio)
> 00037 {
> 00038 }

An effect operates on one or more video and/or audio streams. This method
would be used while reading the available effects from piave to populate
the effect description with a list of required streams for an effect to be
used correctly. For example, a colorise affect would take a single input
that would require a video stream. A transition would require two inputs
with video streams. I can think of ideas where you may want to use three
or more video streams (a simple example, consider blending two video
streams using a third video stream as an alpha matte).

The effect framework in Kdenlive has not yet progressed past the point of
using a single video stream, which is why this method is empty, and to be
fair, it is probably too simplistic for the task that is set out for.

>  I use Doxygen to dive in kdenlive"s source. It very helps me.

Doxygen is very nice :-)

> Here is a doxygen files for Kdenlive and Piave.
> Just install doxygen anf graphviz.
> You will have a nice projects documentation.

Nice, I have added the kdenlive doxygen to cvs. I have modified the input
output settings slightly - it now uses relative paths, and should be
called from the root kdenlive directory. Since the file is called
Doxyfile, you simply need to call 'doxygen' for the documentation to be
generated.

> I spent five evenings to understand how the videoclips are painted on
timeline, what parts do they consist of. Now, it is all clear for me.

Sorry I could not help because of my email.

> http://rad.xtalk.msk.su/pics/kdenlive-kmmtimeline.jpg

Wow, nice picture :-)

Cheers,
Jason