[Kdenlive-devel] About Kdenlive and Piave.

Ruslan Popov radz at yandex.ru
Sat Apr 2 15:34:27 UTC 2005

Hi, Jason.

On my ALTLinux is installed packages with Kdenlive and Piave (K/P). These
packages were builded from official releases. I made some simple improvements
with Kdenlive:
1. Application doesn.t crashes when user tries to drag a folder with clips on
'Project List'.
2. When user makes a double click on clip folder on 'Project List' the folder
opens/closes.

After that I began to learn the timeline code. I was wonder when I'd
understood how it works.

KMMTimeLine has a KMMTimeLineTrackView. The last one has a drawBackBuffer
method which calls drawToBackBuffer for all panels KMMTimeLineTrackView
holds. A clip on timeline shows using two panels.

Am I right?

From my point of we need:
1. Clip track must consist of following panels:
   a) its name;
   b) video frames (shows icons of frames);
   c) audio data (shows amplidute of all channels as one channel).
   d) applied (if exists) special effects: sepia, mosaic, black'n'white,
      cinema and so on;
   !!! This track can be on timeline multiple times.
   !!! Two track by default.
2. Transition/Effect track:
   a) image transitions (effect icons on track has to show the
      transition direction);
   b) fade in/out;
   c) picture in picture (effect icon has to show what track will be
      used as subpicture).
   !!! This track must be between Clip tracks.
3. Audio track:
   This track is used for background music. It can be used multiple times.
4. Titles track:
   Used for showing titles.

All I need to say is track must be a solid object. For example, now clip on
track constructs from separate panels. I guess it is a broken logic.

A two weeks ago I'd downloaded a CVS version of Kdenlive (and Piave, of
course). I'd saw a new effect interface. I don't like it! We need to discuss
about effect interface!

I like when I drag'n'drop effect from effect list onto timeline. Then I move
effect icon and resize (horizontally) it as I want. Then I make double click
on effect icon and I have access to effect properties.
Is it bad way for managing effects???

Now, about Piave.

Is Rolf working on it?

A month ago I have bought a DV camera (Samsung D101i) and I have a lot of
video already. I need to edit this video. I have a little experience with C++
and KDE development and I can and will help you. I don't want to go on
gstreamer because of my distribution has old version of it. Here is gstreamer
0.8.1. Also, I like that it is an ability to create shared network video
processing, coz I have a lot of computers on my work ;)

--
Best regards

    _/_/           _/_/    Ruslan Popov
   _/  _/  _/_/   _/ _/    Mobile: +7 (916) 926-12-05
  _/  _/ _/  _/  _/  _/    Site: http://rad.xtalk.msk.su/
 _/_/   _/  _/  _/ _/      E-mail: radz at yandex.ru
_/  _/  _/_/_/ _/_/        Home, Moscow, Russia