[Kdenlive-devel] Status of the project

Rolf Dubitzky Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 15 13:37:51 UTC 2004

Sorry for the late reply,  this thread was burried in trash ;-)
Still I'd like to give my 2cents.

On Thursday 07 October 2004 08:46, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> My personal feeling is that Kdenlive is
> lagging behind, because there is not yet a small community taking care of
> development.

I completely agree.

> On a coordination side, the lack of maintenance of Piave seems to hinder
> the project.

Could you please be more specific.

> Several people may be willing to enter the project, but how
> can we be sure that Piave is still maintained...

I have not forgotten piave, but as you already mentioned, theproblem is that I
was working alone on the project.  The few people who mentioned interesed
where hopfully encuraged by me and invited to help.
If you and others start contribuiting work and patches, I might also allocate
some more time.

> In the end, my first TODO would be that Kdenlive should be able to make
> non-desctructive editing of any video format, not just DV.

This seems to be a problem for some people, I know.  But it easy said, hard
done.  Myself I am interested in DV and lately MPEG from my TV card.

> There should be way to use ffmpeg to allow the editing of any format. Most
of my family
> videos are stored under mpeg-4 for space reasons (there are "hours" of
> them).

You know, that you need to decompress, recompress them.  You loose a lot of
quality.  One hour of DV footage is only 8 GB.

anyway, don't get me wrong.  Only because _I_ don't edit mpeg-4 doesn't mean I
want to prevent people from doing it.  I only want to explain why I have not
implemented it in piave.  It would be really great if someone who is
interested in it would add it.  I will help Ruslan with any info I can.

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky