[Kdenlive-devel] ffmpeg C++ interface

Rolf Dubitzky Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 15 12:41:20 UTC 2004

Could you please explain the advantages of C++ wrappers to me?  This is an
honest question.  I don't understand the use of wrappers.

To my knowledge the CONs are:

 - tend to be out of date, especially with CVS versions
 - more code -> more bugs
 - tend to be unsupported at times
 - introduce new dependencies
 - make things slower (if not extremely well written)
 - the docu which is available gets useless
 - are usually even worse documented compared to the original lib
 - might not cover the complete API and thus introduce limitations

the PROs are:

 - satisfaction of object oriented fetish

I can give you many examples where using wrappers proved to be a pain and a
mistake.  Just take piave, I used a C++ wrapper for libdv and one for xml in
the beginning, but both showed _all_ of the above disadvantages, and
eventually I got rid of them all and had a better live.

Cheers, Rolf

contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky