[Kdenlive-devel] Scripting

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 22:05:29 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 10:39, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 14:34, Jason Wood wrote:
> > I want to throw a thought at the mailing list and see what bounces back
> > :-)
> >
> > With the latest versions of QT and KDE, it is very easy to make an
> > application scriptable. I am starting to contemplate adding this ability
> > to Kdenlive.
>
> How would this differ (besides language) than just using VEML and piave?
> Remeber, one could script the manipulation of a tree that generates VEML
> or use xslt just as well.

This would be scripting of Kdenlive functionality itself rather than piave,
the idea would be to allow (power) users to extend the functionality of
Kdenlive.  The end result of a scripted operation would operate on Kdenlive's
document model (which get's translated into veml when passed to piave) rather
than on the veml directly.

The advantage of this is that the end result of a script can be edited by the
user from within Kdenlive. If you were to run a script on VEML (and I see no
reason why you shouldn't be able to do this either) then the result would not
be editable from within Kdenlive.

Another advantage is that you could script other parts of Kdenlive other than
just the timeline - for instance, manipulation of any project management data
that gets added to Kdenlive.

One advantage of being able to script VEML directly is that you would be able
to write scripts that access functionality that exists in the renderer
(piave) that is not natively supported by Kdenlive.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood