[Kdenlive-devel] trying to capture with piave

Rolf Dubitzky Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 25 04:30:48 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 19:02, Edwin Schepers wrote:
> Hi,
> When I pgrab, it stays still at the last line doing nothing
> avccontroller.cc:75 INFO: AVCController::AVCControlnode is alwasler()
> avccontroller.cc:89 INFO:  _nports=1
> avccontroller.cc:93 INFO: Port #0 nodes=2 name="ohci1394"
> avccontroller.cc:145 INFO:  nnodes=2
> avccontroller.cc:158 INFO:  avc_node=-1
> avccontroller.cc:189 INFO: Found node: Linux OHCI-1394  type=unknown
> avccontroller.cc:189 INFO: Found node:

Not good. The ieee1394 seems to work, since the ohci controller is correctly
found and reported. I presume you have attached your camcorder and switched
it on, since the kernel reports two nodes. One of the nodes is always (as
correctly reported by piave) the controller (in your case the first one). The
second node is supposed to be your camcorder.
piave tries to get the camcorder node in two ways. 1) ask the ieee1394
subsystem to report a firewire device of type AVC1394_SUBUNIT_TYPE_VCR. This
seems to fail in your case, since the variable avc_node is -1 (line 158).
This is the case also for my camcorder. The second try is made by looping
over all nodes and try get an identification from the device. If the
identification is ROM1394_NODE_TYPE_AVC, piave assumes it's a camcorder.
Obviously piave hangs while polling you cam for information.....
Hmm.. not more I can say right now...

Does grabbing work for you with 'dvgrab' or 'kino'?

Cheers, Rolf

PS:  this is what piave reports for me:

avccontroller.cc:75 INFO: AVCController::AVCController()
avccontroller.cc:89 INFO:  _nports=1
avccontroller.cc:93 INFO: Port #0 nodes=2 name="ohci1394"
avccontroller.cc:145 INFO:  nnodes=2
avccontroller.cc:158 INFO:  avc_node=-1
avccontroller.cc:189 INFO: Found node: Sony DCR-TRV30E  type=AVC (subtype=VCR)
avccontroller.cc:189 INFO: Found node: Linux OHCI-1394  type=unknown
avccontroller.cc:193 INFO:  avc_node=0

So you see, that the variable avc_node is set to 0 after piave found the cam.
In my case the controller is node 1.

--
contacts: http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky