[Kdenlive-devel] XML representation for effects.

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 15:54:53 UTC 2004

On Saturday 13 March 2004 20:46, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> P.S. You guys should take a look at the luma transition in Kino's timfx
> plugin for a generic, extensible wipe processor. It applies a time
> varying threshold filter over the luma channel of an image (grayscale
> bitmap) to determine which parts of clip A vs B to use. You can get
> download additional luma maps from http://mlt.sf.net/ Warning: my bar,
> bardoor, and box wipe collections are 16bit PGMs, which can not be read
> by many apps (try 'display' from ImageMagick). I do not recommend the
> partial.tar.bz2 as it was created in Photoshop with dithering enabled,
> which produces dirty edges.

That sounds cool.

I haven't looked at the code but if your description above is correct, here
are two thoughts on how to make it a more generic effect :

The first is to make the time-varying threshold variable a simple scalar value
that relies on something else to keyframe it. A simple linear keyframing from
0-1 would then provide the current threshold filter effect, but  a non-linear
keyframing would give more control over the effect.

My second thought - make the grayscale bitmap into a third video input to the
effect (that can still be a bitmap), then we can have some funky wipes that
move about while transitioning between the two videos :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood