[Kdenlive-devel] Re: [Dvdauthor-developer] Live DVD Authoring / Editing CD

qdvdauthor qdvdauthor at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 2 09:33:59 UTC 2004

Alain Trembleau wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 02:26, Jason Wood wrote:
>

>>Thinking about it, wouldn't the biggest problem with a video editing live
>>CD on linux be disk space?
>>
>>The kind of person who would use a live distro is probably somebody with a
>>windows 2K/XP box and no linux/fat32 partition. Has the ability to write
>>NTFS partitions stabilized on linux yet?
>>

>No, I don't think the issue of writing to an NTFS partition is completely
>stable yet and definitely this would be an issue.  But I still think it gives
>people a chance to have a look at what's on offer, even if usability is still
>limited.
>
>Cheers
>
>Alain

The driver under http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ is currently said of :
o    Still read-only, but with safe file overwrite support on all
Windows versions without changes to the file size and if the file is
over 1 kB.
Sad but true, no 100% write support for NTFS.

I still believe that a LiveCD would be a great tool for (not only)
beginners. E.g. I am using SuSE, but in order to install application A I
need the gnome developper libraries, for application B I need Qt set up.
Then the hell of finding the right libraries etc.
RPM based systems are better but not by much. I have to find the
application I want in RPM format inclusive all neccesary libraries. This
might work for the big tools but for some smaller application there
might be nothing left but to compile from source. And lastely have you
tried to find RPMs for lets say SuSE 7.2 of kdenlive or dvdauthor ?

Also imagine if the user does not like the set of tools he exeprimented
with, so he uninstalls them or leaves them on the system. Keeping up to
date is another sad story.

I think there are compelling reasons for the Multimedia community to
have one nice, up-to-date Live CD around and if it is only to show off
at your friends house. What, you have problems with your video cutting
software under that other OS .. Let me show YOU ... (clinck).

Varol Okan :)