[Kdenlive-devel] Live DVD Authoring / Editing CD

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 16:36:09 UTC 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 03:12, qdvdauthor wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to ask if some of you would be interested in putting
> together a live bootable CD (similar to, or based on Knoppix), which is
> not too bloated, say around 20-50MBytes, and has all one needs to
> author, and burn Video DVDs, VCDs, CDs et al.
>
> This CD should have no Office, Games, Developement etc., It should only
> have all utilities needed to generate a Video DVD, or any other DVD/CD.
>
> I think this would be a very interesting project. I am currently still
> in pre-alpha mode for 'Q' DVD-Author but I already get some messages
> about compile problems. With a bootable CD we could ensure that all
> applications (kdenlive, dvdauthor, kino etc.) are working propperly
> together and the user could check if it is working for him.

It sounds like a nice idea, but I think the problem is finding somebody with
enough time to implement it :-)

For me, the easiest way to remove the problem of compilation is to get RPM's
for all the applications into the various distros.

Perhaps a more useful idea is simply to collect together a number of "cookbook
recipes", consisting of sets of tools that can be used together to solve a
particular problem, and put them on a webpage.

For example, some of the problems that I have either been asked, or have asked
myself.

* How to convert divx AVI's to DV so that you can edit them in Kino/Kdenlive.
(transcode or mencoder? but provide reasonably detailed instructions - you
use these command line arguments...)

* How can you add an audio overlay track to a DV file (as far as I know,
Kino's your best bet at the moment)

* How to add titles to your video.

* How to edit a blender animation in Kdnelive/Kino. (convert it to a dv file,
but exactly what steps are required, can it be done from blender or do you
need to go via mencoder?)

* How to color correct a DV file.

I would be willing to compile the document (or does one already exist?) but I
don't have that many questions and even less answers :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood