[Kdenlive-devel] AVI support

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 18:06:12 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 01:41, QDVDAuthor wrote:
> All,
>
> I just released pre-alpha 0.0.3 of 'Q' DVD-Author, in case you want to
> play with it.
>
> About the AVI support. I am planing in providing a GUI (later on) to
> convert video files into Mpeg2 format to be usefull for my application.
> I am planing currently in using transcode for this.
> Please note that I am not doing any real deep work, I am only providing
> GUIs for command line tools ad avail libraries, for the 'normal' people
> under us. So how about a similar approach for kdenlive ? You could
> probably include some kind of pre-processing. Of course this is from
> some one who never ever looked at the kdenlive code, so I would not know
> the impact of this (practical, programatical, and philosophical).

It basically becomes a question as to whether the functionality belongs in
Kdenlive or not. The original design spec was that Kdenlive would perform no
video editing itself, and would only perform video tasks via some separate
renderer (i.e. piave). This is analogous to your own GUI - the gui is purely
a frontend for the underlying renderer, albeit it needs to be a fairly
sophisticated one.

I would prefer to keep this as much as possible - so if we need to render to
mpeg 2, I am quite happy for that to be done via transcode... but it should
be done through a piave plugin. As for loading mpeg 2, I think that a
transcoder-based gui converter that could do mpeg-2 to dv and dv to mpeg-2
would be so much more useful at least in the short term, since it could be
used by anyone, not just by kdenlive folks. In the long term, we can then
stick to the "correct" plan and implement mpeg2 editing in piave :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood