[Kdenlive-devel] transitions

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at Physik.Tu-Dresden.de
Mon May 19 14:25:06 UTC 2003

On Monday 19 May 2003 15:29, Jason Wood wrote:
> > From: Rolf Dubitzky [mailto:R.Dubitzky at Physik.Tu-Dresden.de]
> > What I think of looks something like the attached pic.
>
> That's almost exactly how I envisaged it :-)

great ;-)

> I think it should be possible either way - for quick edits it will be
> easier to manage in the timeline. For complex transitions containing
> multiple effect lines when we desire a higher level of control, having a
> seperate dialog is more useful.

dito ;-)

> I would assume that this problem goes away as soon as we can handle video
> and sound seperately? I think handling sound as seperate tracks on the
> timeline is the way to go - I cannot think of any better way to handle it
> :-) Except that we might want to have the ability to treat a track as
> Video/Audio (like we currently do) to simplify the timeline. However in
> this case, I would assume that the transition of sound and video would be
> linked together?

linked yes, but they will still be different things. for any transition
between tracks you will have to specify a video and an audio transition. Of
course tere can be some 'default' audio transition connected to any given
video transition, but still there will be two objects connected to a
transition, one audio, one video.

Anoter thing is, even if you treat audio separet from video, the two tracks
should still be locked (at least per default) so that if you move the audio
part, the video gets moved synchronously.

> I think that one addition that should be made to the transition picture is
> that there should not necessarily be only a single variable that changes
> within a transition - if we assume an audio/visual track for the moment,
> and a crossfade transition, video could have it's own crossfade 'red line',
> and audio could have it's own crossfade line.

sure. in the separate dialog you can handle as many variables as you want, and
there will be probably not only variables of type "double", which can be
visualized as a "red line", but also of type "Color", "Point", "Box", etc....

I have started to add some new features to piave targeting this stuff and have
already commited them in the last weeks/days. Since they break VEML
compatibility with kdenlive I opened a new CVS-branch "V00-03-devel" which
will eventually become piave 0.3.0 . To handle effects and transitions we'll
have to modify VEML just a little. piave doesn't really work right now, but
there is a new subdirectory 'examples' where you can see two VEML files. I
think I'll get te examples working in the next weeks. Concider the
'V00-03-devel' branch as 'unstable' and the CVS HEAD as the 'stable' branch.

Concerning new file formats, I have not recieved a lot of support, only from
the xine guys. They are working on enix, which looks very nice but is not
very far at this point. The only other option is gstreamer which is still
pretty brain dead from my point of view and I didn't recieve a lot of usefull
comments from their side. Their own non-linear editor project 'gnonlin' is
basicly dead and just shows how complicated it is to use gstreamer for
anything else than building supid pipelines.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky          http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky
 e-mail:         Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik dot TU-Dresden dot de