[Kdenlive-devel] Export timeline progress dialog box...

jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 15:48:07 UTC 2003

> > Ina any of the mentioned cases (except 3) we need to define a common
> > picture format so that kdenlive can understand what piave is saying.
>
> PNG for 3 points :
>
> - free and GPL.
> - easily usable with Qt.
> - fast and not really big for video size.

I would be tempted by png as well. There are two or three points to consider as to which will be fastest :

1. Compression/decompression time. It doesn't matter if the files are reduced to almost zero length, if it takes five minutes to decode the result, we'll have poor performance.

2. Quality. Lossless is best, but we could get away with a lossy compression format.

3. Transfer time. How long it takes to transfer across the network/save and read from a file/ copy from one memory location to another.

We want these to be shortest overall - i.e. zero transfer time, lossless and  no time compressing/decompressing would be fastest. This also sounds very much like linking piave with the app :-) But that does mean linking kdenlive and piave together, which is sacrificing a lot of the potential in the current design (render farms, etc.) I've said before that I'm not entirely against linking piave to kdenlive - so long as they can still both interact with each other without being linked. As soon as we start shortcutting the networking client/server design, we'll start forgetting to leave room to add it later, which means that using multiple machines, either as a render farm or with seperate machines simply running piave full screen and the gui on a seperate machine (something that I'm tempted to get running very soon, time and priorities permitting) will become very painful to implement.

I think that we should start by trying images across TCP - this will be the "slow but always works, even across a network" solution. From then on, we find out exactly how slow it is, and then we can optimise with local solutions :-)

Cheers,
Jason