[Kdenlive-devel] piave: AVI DV support

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at Physik.Tu-Dresden.de
Sun Jun 15 16:20:24 UTC 2003

Hi guys,

one thing that was long due is the native AVI DV support. Most wondoze
programs can write "DV format", where the actual DV frames are inside of an
AVI container (with or without an extra audio track). dvgrab also writes this
sort of file. As far as I can tell this has no advantage over raw DV files,
but at this point I do all my capturing on windoze, since kino capturing is
constantly crashing on me and with just using dvgrab I cannot see what I am
actually capturing. So I want to be able to read my AVI DV files created on
windows. This is done and works very nicely. It is committed to the
V00-03-devel branch.

If anyone is testing this, I would like to hear if it's working.

In principle, since I had to write a almost complete AVI parser, it is now
possible to add native piave codecs for audio/video inside AVI for piave
(e.g. with libavcoded of ffmpeg).

Also I did some further work on enix integration (which would provide it's own
container parsers for AVI and MPEG etc.), and to tell you the truth, I think
I was right from the beginning. Editing a video sequence in compresses divx
files is completely stupid. I think even mpeg might be a problem. It's just
not possible to do fast searches and move backwards in a file. Right now,
everything is so slow, it's by _far_ unusable.
If anything else, it will at least take a lot of work to optimise intelligent
caching of mpeg-chunks inbetween I frames. There is just no single video
library for linux which does that. They are all coded with fast replay in
mind, but not for editing, there it's necessary to cache the decoded frames.

If DV wouldn't be limited to PAL or NTSC resolution, I would strongly vote for
just converting averything you want to edit to DV and then edit it in DV. Who
cares about disk space these days.

I think I would rather like to start coding some functionality for capturing.
Since I would like to play around with Qt anyway, I can also implement a
little dialog in kdenlive.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky          http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky
 e-mail:         Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik dot TU-Dresden dot de