[Kdenlive-devel] a few issues

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 10 10:10:45 UTC 2003

On Thursday 09 January 2003 05:47 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> This makes sense when the zoom leve allows you to see individual frames,
> but what about if you are working at much higher zoom levels?

Then the bar shrinks to a line. But I think that's for later, it was just an
idea, I am perfectly happy with a line befor the current frame.

> > - 'play' button. They play button should stay pushed down as long as the
> > video is playing, be released when it stopped.
>
> This, along with the marker moving automatically during playback, will
> happen as soon as the play status commands that you mentioned previously
> have been implemented. It should be very straight forward, but if I do it
> at the moment, the play button will just get stuck down :-)

True ;-)

> > - "New Window" will not work with piave. So either disable it when using
> >   piave, or delete it.
>
> Ok, done.
>
> Incidentally, does piave have a fallback to normal screen usage if xv fails
> or isn't wanted? I can think of two reasons why I would like this :
>
> 1. It makes the screenshots look better (with xv, you just get a blue
> window where the video is being overlayed)

start piave with '-f rgb' and piave will use rgb_surfaces instead of
yuv_overlay  ( see -h ).

> 2. I have at least one UI design concept that I want to implement in the
> distant future which will require many monitor views on screen at once - at
> that point, speed for me won't be as important as testing the theory of if
> the UI works or not.

That will be simple.

> Ok,. there are two main issues here :
>
> 1. The monitor has no features implemented at the moment other than
> playback, and needs them.
>
> 2. With the timeline, there is no feedback whilst resizing and cutting
> clips. This problem is because we are not sending the scenelist on every
> resize, but will suddenly be a trivial matter to solve once we have a
> "clip" monitor (since we will just tell paive to seek to the frame we are
> resizing to).

Or implment a (additional) button which just cuts the current clip at the
pointer position. You could then take your time and position the pointer very
precise (with the mouse or with the step-frame-button) and without the need
to keep your mousebutton pressed.

> I was hoping to start on transition/effects, but I think that it does make
> more sense to get the monitor support and editing tools in better shape
> first, so I think we should aim for the following list as minimum for V0.2
> :
>
> Version 0.2
> * Monitor has editing capabilities

ok.

> * Piave shows resize operations whilst they are in action

You can do this easyly now. Remember that you don't have to send the complete
timeline everytime. when resizing a clip, just send a mininmal scenelist to
piave which only contains the single clip, and a seek to the apropriate
position.

> * Improved editing tools via the timeline.
>
> What do you think?

I think we are starting to think from a user's, rather from a developer's
perspective, that's great!

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/