[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive disconnecting/reconnecting?

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 21:21:25 UTC 2003

On Thursday 09 Jan 2003 9:03 pm, booker wrote:
> What I noticed is that after a crash of piave (e.g. when adding a clip or
> hitting the play button) it will be reconnected some seconds (~ 8 seconds)
> afterwards.

yes, but that's not a bug, that's a feature!

Well, the reconnect bit is anyway - if piave crashes, kdenlive will attempt to
restart it apporx. five times per second (an arbitrary time elasped to
prevent kdenlive from flooding the system unnecessarily).

There is a problem at the moment, but I am not sure who's problem it is. If
piave crashes, the socket it was listening on does not get closed properly,
and piave is unable to open it until the socket "times out". This explains
the time required before piave springs back to life.

I think I read somewhere that it is possible to override the "time out" on a
socket, but I cannot find the link anymore. I might be wrong. If it is
possible, it would be great if piave did do it.

Failing that, it would be very simple on kdenlives part to have two or more
port numbers which it attempts to launch piave with. So if it fails on port
6100, it tries again on port 6101, then 6102, then back to 6100, or similar.
That way, kdenlive would re-establish the link very quickly.

What do you think, Rolf?

Cheers,
Jason

--