[Kdenlive-devel] a few issues

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Thu Jan 9 15:36:33 UTC 2003

Hi all,

here is another list with minor things I noticed. They are in no particular
order, some are just little bugs, some should be discussed. (I'll put it on
the web todo-list, so we can keep track what needs to bo done)

minor
=====

- kdenlive starts up with a single frame timeline. Why? Is it not possible to
have an empty timeline?

- the slider marker points always _between_ frames and kdenlive requests the
frame _after_ the marker to be displayed, but it is possible to move the
slider beyond the last frame.

- Even better would be to make the slider cursor not a line, but a bar with
the width of a frame. (and just xor'ing whats beneeth) In MovieDV the marker
is just two lines connected by a bar on the top (one before and one after the
current frame).

- open recent, does still not work for me

- the 'selection' and 'clip' inputlines. I think it looks rather strange to
  have them, but don't do anything. Either get rid of them, or display
  something, maybe duration/in/oupoint of the current clip. If they stay, and
  are in priciple readonly, they should _really_ be readonly.

- 'play' button. They play button should stay pushed down as long as the video
  is playing, be released when it stopped.

- I think we need a 'View' menu, where you can checkbox which windows you want
  to see, because if I delete one of the DockWidgets, it's gone, and I don't
  get it back. Actually I don't think we should allow to delete these windows.
  It doesn't make any sense to delete them.

- "New Window" will not work with piave. So either disable it when using
  piave, or delete it.

- "Export timeline" ... I would rather call it "render project" or "render
  timeline"  ... with "export" I think of 'saving in a foreign format', e.g.
  SMIL.  Also there could be a "render selection"

major
=====

- monitor window; we talked about that a bit already.
  Problems:
    A) I think the cutting tool is not very easy to use right now. Ok, I can
       cut, but I don't see where I cut. Cutting must be precise to the frame.
    B) The two rulers/sliders are a little bit redundant right now. They both
       show the complete timeline from A to Z.
    C) trimming a clip can only be done by resizing the box in the timeline.
       As with the cutting, I have to do it blindly, I can't see what I do.

  Solution:
    - get rid of the cutting tool altogether.
    - when a clip is selected in the timeline, this clip is displayed in the
      monitorwindow. This clip only and _completely. E.g. if I have a two
      minute clip, where I set inpoint to 0.30 and outpoint to 1.30, I have a
      1.00 wide box in the timeline. When I select this clip, the ruler in the
      monitorwindow should be 2.00 wide and show the _complete_ clip
      (including the stuff before and after the in/outpoint. The in and
      outpoint should be indicated in the monitor ruler. The slider of the
      monitor ruler should be movable across the _complete_ clip. There should
      be three buttons: "cut here", "set inpoint here", "set outpoint here".
      I guess it's clear what the buttons are supposed to do: clicking on
      "set outpoint here" should set a new outpoint and move the out-indicator
      apropriately.
      "cut here" should do the following: example: one clip in the timeline:
        A  "foo.dv"  duration 2.00   inpoint 0.30 outpoint 1.30
      now if I select this clip and move the slider to 1.10 and hit cut here,
      I should get two clips in the timeline:
        A  "foo.dv"  duration 2.00   inpoint 0.30 outpoint 1.10
        B  "foo.dv"  duration 2.00   inpoint 1.10 outpoint 1.30
      One of them (probably the first) should be displayed in the monitor
      window. (It would just look like the outpoint had moved there)

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/