[Kdenlive-devel] GUI

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 15:30:39 UTC 2003

On Thursday 09 Jan 2003 9:32 am, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
>So would it be possible to have both; automatic and manual switching between
>modes?

Yes.

Effectively, there are two modes of operation that we need - clip and
workspace (The timeline preview mode fits within the workpsace mode).

Instead of trying to put them both into a single monitor window, they will
have seperate monitor windows. However, in the standard configuration, these
windows will be stacked inside a tab window, liek the project and debug
windows are at the moment.

This way, the user can change between the windows at will.

To add automatic layout management, kdenlive will issue an "activate" command
to the relevant monitor when some action is performed. E.g., if you drag the
timeline ruler widget, the workspace monitor will become active. If you
select a clip, the clip monitor will become active.

It will be possible for the user to choose his layout, as it is already - if
the user wants to have both windows on screen at once, that is fine.

As far as I am aware, this requires no extra coding from piave, and very
little from kdenlive - I can either move piave's X window from monitor to
monitor as needed, or even just launch a seperate piave process for the each
monitor - the resources that Piave uses when doing nothing are *tiny*, and
the design is already in place to allow this to happen without confusion
between the seperate instances.

The only issue that might come about is contention with /dev/dsp, but the
logic within kdenlive (once complete) will make sure that only one monitor at
a time will play.

That's my current plan anyway. Feel free to comment ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. The bug Reinhard mentioned, where adding a file to the project list,
selecting "open file", saying "no" to the "do you want to save dialog"
crashes kdenlive... is now fixed.

--
Jason Wood