[Kdenlive-devel] GUI

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 16:20:06 UTC 2003

On Friday 03 Jan 2003 1:46 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Friday 03 January 2003 11:05 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> > The buffering should definitely happen on Kdenlive's side of the
> > communication. However, the main optimisation that I want to try first is
> > to only send the updated parts of the scenelist - this adds another
> > command to VEML, so I want to wait until we have released 0.1 source
> > pacakges first.
>
> I would really prefere it the other way round. The fact, that kden is
> sending the complete scenelist many time is really keeping me from
> debugging the building of the render-tree. Updating parts of the scenelist
> will be difficult for my part. Updating parts of the tree is very
> complicated. PIAVE only knows about unary- and binary-nodes. The scenelist
> is at present represented by a tree of binary-nodes. To be able to update a
> part of the list, I will have to implement complicated tree operations, or
> introduce sequential multi-nodes.

I thought that piave handled the render as a list of trees already?

> The latter makes more sense , but both solutions will take a while to test
> and debug.
>
> Can't you just set some kind of flag somewhere that the scenelist was
> modified, and when doing a 'seek' check that flag? If it's set, then send
> the scenelist before the seek.

Ok, I have done this for the moment. I don't see it as a long-term solution,
as it means that e.g. when resizing, you wont be able to see in the preview
window what frame you are resizing to. I admit that a short term solution is
preferable to perfection for now though :-)

> That would also fix the bug, that the scenelist is not send when you load a
> new file. Just set the 'modified' flag when loading a file ...

Hmm, I can fix that with one line a code... there we go :-)

> > Hmm, there is no buffer implemented unless it exists in QT's code. I'll
> > look into it.
>
> Very strange.. the scrlling is really diffrent. Sometimes the slider jumps
> around over _many_ pixels. Can you confirm that behaviour?

The only alteration to the seek command is that I tied the ruler sliders on
the timeline and monitor together, so you should be able to "seek" with
either of them. It is possible that you are recieving twice the numebr of
seek commands than before - I need to check the code to confirm/disprove this
- but other than that, it should work as before.

> > > Where is that razor tool you mentioned?
> >
> > It should be available on the Timeline menu, and on the toolbar. If you
> > cannot see it, you need to ./configure --prefix=kdeinstalldir and do a
> > "make install" to put the kdenliveui.rc file into the correct place.
>
> I did 'make install'  , but without a configured prefix. The default prefix
> seems to be '/usr/local/kde' which is ok for me. Do I need to set a
> different prefix? If so, which one? I don't want to mix my development
> stuff with the system installation (actually on some of the systems I am
> testing, I am not even allowed to do that).

Essentially, KDE has a directory which contains all of the configuration
details for the various applications. If you install the kdenlive
configuration files somewhere else, then you have to tell KDE where to find
them. It is possible, because you haev to do this if you install two versions
of KDE on your system (say, 3.0 and CVS) and want to keep them seperate. BUt
I'm not sure how you do it - I think there is an environment variable that
you need to set.

On Mandrake, the KDE direcotry defaults to /usr, so kdenlive global
configuration files end up in /usr/share/apps/kdenlive/

> or  <stillcolor yuvcolor="#000000" />

Ok, you should recieve these now instead of empty scenes.

Committing now...

Cheers,
Jason

--