[Kdenlive-devel] Another commit and time to start mentioning piave bugs ;-)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 00:38:55 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 8:29 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > As already mentioned, the d'n'd not working is due to the "unknown"
> > status of a file when it is first dragged into kdenlive - I am
> > considering how best to fix this. My initial thought is to have a
> > "mystery" clip type (marked with question marks) which resolves itself to
> > the correct clip length as soon as it becomes known. However, this get's
> > tricky since piave might say that the file is invalid, or not return an
> > answer at all if something goes seriously wrong.
>
> I think you should just mark those clips as "un-d'n'd-able" somehow. The
> chance that the duration gets known is small, that chance that it is a bug
> is big. A warning "Couldn't get file properties" wouldn't hurt either, no?

That doesn't help in the case ofd dragging something from an external program
(e.g., konqueror). At the moment when the drag enters the timeline, a request
is sent to piave to get the file duration. But since the duration is not
known, you have to then drag the clip off of the timeline, wait for the
duration to be computed and then you can drag it back on and it works.

Ok, if piave returns an error on getting the file length, a message box might
make sense (if we are adding clips to the project), or ignoring the request
(i.e., if someone drags a text document across kdenlive, it should not throw
an error message, it should simply say it cannot be dropped).

What is needed is where kdenlive will be asked to add the clip to the
timeline, and fails, fails, fails, fails, recieves the correct length and
succeeds. Or alternatively, where kdenlive puts up a temporary clip of
"unknown" duration, which will then change into a proper clip, or get deleted
once the file duration is known.

Well, that's how I intend to do it anyhow ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood