[Kdenlive-devel] Another commit and time to start mentioning piave bugs ;-)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 21:59:07 UTC 2003

On Monday 10 Feb 2003 10:21 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Monday 10 February 2003 12:42 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> > Finally, here is a very reproducable bug on my computer - The piave
> > workspace monitor appears for a couple of seconds, and then crashes.
>
> Hi Jason,
>
>  yes, piave HEAD is very unstable at the moment :-(. It's not so easy to
> debug, since kdenlive doesn't work at all for me right with piave
> installed. If I don't have it installed, kdenlive works sometimes, but very
> frequently it will start, and imediatly freeze. No reaction to neither
> mouse, nor keyboard.

Erm, that sounds bad :-( On my computer, kdenlive has not crashed or frozen
since we released V0.2.0, which makes it difficult for me to track down what
is wrong.

> Unfortunately, with piave installed, this happens in
> 95% of the cases. I am not realy able to debug, because I don't get a
> scenelist. In the few cases where kdenlive doesn't freeze imediately, none
> of the two piave processes receives a <setScenelist> command. There should
> be two ways to make kdenlive send <setScenelist>, right?

I have changed very little to do with the interface between Kdenlive and Piave
since the last release, so you should still be recieving a setScenelist for
both the clip monitor and the workspace monitor. The clip monitor currently
starts with an invalid length (1 minute long) until you first click on a
clip.

> a)  add clip to project list.  double click the file.
>       shouldn't that display the first frame of the file in the clip
>	monitor? it doesn't right now for me.

Depending on what your KDE settings say, it will either be a single click or a
double cick - whatever you use to "execute" a command in konqueror. Yes, it
should show the clip in the "clip" monitor (the lefthand one with the default
layout)

> b)  insert the clip to the timeline ...
>       this doesn't work at all for me right now. when I try to d'n'd a clip
>       from the project list to the timeline, the clip doesn't 'drop' i.e.
> the small square that is displayed next to the mouse coursor just stays
> where it is and nothing else happens. no clip in the timeline.

This happens when the "duration" of a clip is "unknown". The exact handling of
this situation needs to be sorted out but this suggests that the Document
piave instance is not replying to getCapabilities correctly, or if it is,
then Kdenlive is not picking up the request. I recieve this when I try to add
clips to the project : (from the Document piave instance, port 6100).

The only concern that I have is that the "Disconnected" message from Kdenlive
is coming slightly before the std::error message from piave. However, since
they are running in seperate processes, I think it can be assumed that the
events actually occurred the other way around - feel free to argue, I might
be wrong :-)

server.cc:215 INFO: <<<<<<<<<< sending message stop
Disconnected
streammgr.cc:127 ERROR: FIXME
server.cc:238 INFO: >>>>>>>>> receive message start
server.cc:239 INFO: <message><getFileProperties
filename="/home/uchian/video/casualty.dv" />

<getFileProperties filename="/home/uchian/video/mysample.dv" />

<getFileProperties filename="/home/uchian/video/pond.dv" />

<getFileProperties filename="/home/uchian/video/rolf-sample.dv" />

<getFileProperties filename="/home/uchian/video/test2.dv" />

</message>

server.cc:240 INFO: >>>>>>>>> receive message stop
kdenserver.cc:324 INFO: Recieved VEML command getFileProperties
kdenserver.cc:324 INFO: Recieved VEML command getFileProperties
kdenserver.cc:324 INFO: Recieved VEML command getFileProperties
kdenserver.cc:324 INFO: Recieved VEML command getFileProperties
kdenserver.cc:324 INFO: Recieved VEML command getFileProperties
Render Process Exited
Launching Process /usr/local/bin/piave as server on port 6100
Process launching successfully, pid = 2296
Connecting to server on port 6100
Connection Refused

...and so on into the wait for the port to become free again.

> After these freezes I see _many_ processes like this
> kdeinit: kio_file file
> /var/tmp2/ksocket-dubitzky/klauncherBjP76a.slave-socket
> /var/tmp2/ksocket-dubitzky/kdenliveeaQfpa.slave-socket
>
> That's probably normal?

kio_file's are processes that KDE uses to provide network transparent file
access - along with kio_http, kio_pop3, and a whole host of other protocols.
Are there lots of kio_files which specifically say Kdenlive? If you could
copy 'n' paste a list of them that might be useful.

> I started seperating the xml parser from the kdenlive part inside piave.
> Then I will be able to feed VEML files to pplay. That way I will be able to
> test piave without having to startup kdenlive and it'll be a usefull
> feature anyway.
>
> Can you/anybody reproduce this freezing and/or d'n'd not working?

As already mentioned, the d'n'd not working is due to the "unknown" status of
a file when it is first dragged into kdenlive - I am considering how best to
fix this. My initial thought is to have a "mystery" clip type (marked with
question marks) which resolves itself to the correct clip length as soon as
it becomes known. However, this get's tricky since piave might say that the
file is invalid, or not return an answer at all if something goes seriously
wrong.

The freezing, I cannot reproduce. Could you run kdenlive through valgrind, or
gdb, or *anything* that might provide some clue as to where the freeeze is
occurring?

> I commited many changes to piave anyway, some bugs are fixed, but I
> couldn't check if it works. Just for testing, I replaced the "empty frame"
> (the frame which is displayed, when nothing else is specified for a given
> time) to red. just so that I can see something happen at all, don't be
> surprized.

Ok, I'll check it out and let you know how well it works for me.

> P.S.   Since I wasn't able to realy check it out, I am not sure, but I
> think that the effect list and the effect setup should be visible at the
> same time, no?

You should be able to make them both visible at the same time, but there is
currently no restriction on the user to make both visible at the same time.

> PP.S.   kdenlive always crashes on exit:
>
>  QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
>  QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
>  QSocket::writeBlock: Socket is not open
>  KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
>  KCrash: Application Name = kdenlive path = <unknown> pid = 4161
>  Alarm clock

Again, this doesn't happen for me :-( Could you provide a backtrace?

> PPP.S.   I removed all dependencies to libxml++. I wanted to update to the
> last version, 0.18.0, that was easy enough, but the next day, there was
> already 0.19.0 and that depends on a version of libxml that wasn't even
> installed on my RH8.0 box!! I got tired of that crap and am now using
> libxml directly, no crappy C++ wrappers anymore.

:-)

Cheers,
Jason

--