[Kdenlive-devel] Preliminary snap marker support committed

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 00:39:18 UTC 2003

On Sunday 30 Nov 2003 10:04 pm, jelte at liebrand.co.uk wrote:
> Hiya Jason,
>
> I haven't had a chance to try all of this out, but just some remarks that
> spring to mind.
>
> > 1. being able to delete markers (I am thinking Ctrl-clicking on them with
> > the marker tool, and a "clear all markers" option in the menu somewhere.
>
> Haven't you just found your own answer here? Wrt what should be in the
> context sensitive menu on the timeline? ;-)

Well in this case, possibly :-) But my question about context menus was a
little more all-encompassing. For instance - should the tools be in the
context menu for easy access, or do they just clutter it up?

> Basically, if I understand you correctly, you can set these markers on a
> clip somewhere, then dragging the clip around will make it snap on those
> markers. Either to other markers (from different clips) or their edges,
> right?

That is correct.

> If so, then I think you should be able to set the markers on the
> timeline (with the context sensitive menu).

This is ok, but there is an issue of which clip gets the marker - should it be
"all selected clips", or should it be "the clip that you right-clicked on"?
Which feels "correct" to you?

I think that it is necessary that the context-sensitive version should place
the marker on the clip at the current seek time, the current "marker" tool I
have implemented is actually useless because you cannot use it to accurately
place markers (although I think it might still be useful for deleting them).

> I would argue that 'what should go in the timeline' and 'what should go in
> the clip monitor' depends on what it does. And if the function of something
> spans multiple clips, then it should be done on the timeline... If the
> meaning of whatever you do only applies to one clip, then it should be done
> in the clip monitor.

You can look at markers in two senses. The first is that the whole idea of
snap markers is to be able to snap clips to each other. From this point of
view, we want a representation of them on the timeline.

The other way of looking at it is that you want to be able to place a snap
marker with complete accuracy. From this point of view, a representation of
markers within the clip monitor also makes sense.

To be honest, I think that is the answer - there needs to be a representation
of snap markers in both the clip monitor and on the timeline. There is a
further extension to this then : when adding markers onto the timeline
itself, we can again have markers on the timeline, and markers in the
workspace monitor.

> That ofcourse is just my humble idea, and it doesn't mean you couldn't do
> 'both'. But I would expect to set markers via the context sensitive menu on
> the timeline, and use that as well to remove them.

That is possible, the solution via the clip monitor would be to have a button
saying "add marker". I think that for the moment, I will add this as well as
the one on the timeline, and see how it feels.

Keep feeding me your thoughts though :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood