[Kdenlive-devel] moved here from kde-multimedia (was Re: Multimedia Frameworks)

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Mon Oct 28 18:18:19 UTC 2002

On Monday 28 October 2002 05:46 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> Am Montag, 28. Oktober 2002 16:32 schrieben Sie:
> > On Monday 28 Oct 2002 10:29 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > I'm not so sure about the GUI being a GStreamer app - mostly, I guess,
> > because I don't want to tie the program too tightly to any framework
> > untill I know that it is the right framework.
>
> True

I agree too, but ...

> > I do not believe that there will be a significant (as in noticeable to
> > the user) performance penalty for having communication through seperate
> > threads, but if I turn out to be wrong, I am coding so that the details
> > of the interface should be hidden from the cutter itself. E.g. all of
> > the client/server code is in a base class which you then inherit and
> > fill in a couple of functions. In the case of GStreamer, that would
> > simply mean putting the GStreamer rendering code within this class.
>
> Well maybe we can issue a command to the cutter giving it the display
> number as well as where to put it's window and the cutter might then (if
> it can) display it's own window directly to the screen.

... I don't like the cutter to know about any kind of display. He would need
to know Xv/FrameBuf/GL/younameit. So there _needs_ to be a interface. I agree
however that relying on GStreamer is probably not the right thing, but I have
a very strong opinion agains everybody brewing his own beer. I will for sure
use GStreamer in my engine to benefit from it's input streams and and it's
filters.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/