[Kdenlive-devel] moved here from kde-multimedia (was Re: Multimedia Frameworks)

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Mon Oct 28 14:38:59 UTC 2002

On Monday 28 October 2002 03:11 pm, Jason Wood wrote:

> > Ok, I don't want to get envolved with multiple computers too much,
> > because that's my major. But if we want to test this on a 500+ PC cluster
> > at some point I can do it. But using a PC cluster to render a movie is
> > trivial. The task is intrinsicly parallel if you can make the cutter read
> > a XML file and launch it with gst-launch. You just have to tell everybody
> > which frames to render and have a seriealizer in the end. That's what I
> > do all day ;-)
>
> I think the main problem with video rendering over a network is more a case
> of bandwidth - To edit at DV quality, you are looking at 3 Meg/second AV
> files, (30 Meg/s or more for some of the more "professional" codecs ) which
> I think could quite easily saturate the network.

Possible, most likely, if you can afford a cluster than you can afford
network. I am a physicist and we do numbercrunching in High Energy Physics,
bandwidth is a big problem for us, but it's not the network, it's the
fileservers. We just add some more GBit connections to the NFS toasters if it
becomes a problem. In video editing, you will not handle a lot of data (we
deal with aprox. 120 Terabyte of data right now). It should be easy to
distribute the data before you render. just put a disk in your batchnode and
copy the files over. When done, copy the output. This will add some network
traffic before you really start rendering.
 Now, _interactive_ videoediting on a cluster is just .. errh.. well.. I don't
think that makes sense, just buy a big box if you need power. Building a
interactive cluster is highly non-trivial, believe me, it requires some real
good reason, and video editing is just not a reason good enough.

> However, I should point out that I am not at this moment in time really
> looking into network rendering - but I don't want to have to rework the
> entire code base when it comes round to implementing it.

If you keep the renderer as an application, that can be used from the
kommandline, using some .dv data and an XML description of what to do with
it, then you will have no problem in distributing on a cluster.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/