[Kdenlive-devel] Storyboard_2 in scene format.

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Fri Nov 22 16:44:02 UTC 2002

On Friday 22 November 2002 05:19 pm, Jason Wood wrote:

> The generation of scenes is not really for the benefit of the GUI - it is
> for the benefit of the pattern matching scheduler (still to be written :-)
> ), which will look at the render list, search for areas of it that have
> already been rendered, and replace them with the pre-rendered versions.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

> It sounds like a lot of work, and if you tried to implement this using the
> xml structure that Piave is currently using, as we would have to implement
> a full pattern checking algorithm ourselves.
> By using scenes, you can simply compare the XML tree generated by one scene
> to the XML tree generated by another scene. If they are identical, then we
> know we don't have to re-render :-)
> This is going to be very useful if you have a piece of footage with effects
> that you use multiple times (but don't want to render down because you
> might change those effects), it is useful for implementing undo
> functionality, as we don't need to keep track of what is and isn't in the
> scene render cache (yet more functionality in the future)

Oh! I start to understand what you mean. I agree, it makes sense to start
splitting to scenes when we have such a scheduler. Recognizing such parts in
a tree is much more difficult even if you would implement some kind of
'reference' which points to the same subtree or so.

> Fine by me, I am going to work on the client interface within Kdenlive
> first, before I start looking at rewriting nullcutter.

Ok. I'll start then from the other side, implementing the server interface in
piave. It'll be a little different from the nullcutter anyway.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/