[Kdenlive-devel] Communication (again)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 18:28:32 UTC 2002

On Friday 15 Nov 2002 6:01 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Friday 15 November 2002 05:15 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > Has anyone any thoughts on this?
>
> Hmm.. I thought about it and couldn't come up with an example where the
> cutter would need to initialize a communication, I didn't think hard enough
> obviously ;-)

Just to confirm that we are talking about the same thing here, the GUI will
still be in charge of connecting to the server in the first place (i.e. when
the GUI first loads), but the server is then allowed to call functions (via
the XML + socket) in the GUI to tell it that something has happened.

> My .02EUR:  Wy start with the simple aproach: Thw GUI client contacts the
> server, the server responds. No server initiated communication. If this is
> implemented and working and we see it's just too sluggish we find something
> else.

Fair enough.

> I am not so sure about this XML over TCP in general. I think we can get
> something working quickly with this aproach, but if it's a viable way for
> the future will show.

My main concern at the moment is to the size of the generated XML files, which
could be rather large and hence, slow. But I agree, I am not sure how much of
an effect it will have until we have tried it.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood