[Kdenlive-devel] Communication (again)

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 16:15:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

As I write up the communication between GUI and Cutter, I have been trying to
decide if it is better for all communication to be initiated by the GUI, or
if the Cutter should relay information without being asked for it first.

For instance, when the cutter is rendering a file, the GUI is going to want to
know how far through the process the cutter has got, with maybe something
like the following code :

<getRenderProgress/>
(and the Cutter replies)
<reply command="getRenderProcess" progess="20%"/>

The problem with this approach is that if we want to keep ourselves updated,
we have to continuously poll the cutter to determine it's progress. This will
increase latency slightly - we only get a progress update when we poll for
one, not as soon as it occurs.

The other approach would be where the cutter simply replies whenever it's
progress changes significantly - the GUI does not request the progress
update,  but merely processes it as soon as it arrives.

(cutter sends)
<renderProgress progress="20%"/>

Has anyone any thoughts on this?

Cheers,